Storm surges are caused by the combination of high tides and strong winds, resulting in significant damage to homes, businesses, and other structures. They occur when strong winds push water from the ocean onto the land, causing severe flooding. To protect against these destructive forces, many communities and individuals turn to sandbags as a solution.
In the face of flooding, people often ask, “But do they help with storm surges?”
Sandbags Can Create A Barrier
Sandbags can be used in a variety of settings, making them a flexible solution for protecting against storm surges. Sandbags work by creating a solid barrier against the rising waters of a storm surge. When filled with sand, they provide a strong and durable defense against incoming water. Sandbags are also lightweight and easy to transport, making them a convenient option for storm surge protection.
Sandbags Can Be Reinforced For Storm Surges
While sandbags offer several benefits, their limitations must be kept in mind. Sandbags are only sometimes effective in very high-speed water currents and may need to be reinforced with other materials for maximum protection. Sandbags can be made stronger for storm surge protection in several ways:
- Stacking: When sandbags are stacked in layers, each layer adds extra weight and support, making it more resistant to the force of water. Overlapping sandbags in each layer evenly distributes the weight, reducing the risk of collapsing or shifting during a storm surge.
- Using Additional materials: Sandbags can be reinforced with other materials such as plastic sheeting, mesh, or burlap, which can help to increase the stability and durability of the barrier.
- Securing sandbags: Sandbags can be secured using ties, stakes, or other anchoring systems, to help keep the barrier in place during a storm surge.
- Specialized sandbags: Specialized sandbags are also available, explicitly designed for flood protection. They may have extra features such as built-in reinforcements or UV protection to help extend their lifespan.
- Creating a sandbag wall: To maximize the protection provided by sandbags, they can make a continuous wall, with the sandbags overlapping and interlocking to form a more substantial barrier.
Although reinforcing sandbags can increase their effectiveness, they should be used with other flood protection measures. Multiple protection measures provides for the best defense against storm surges.
One of the main advantages of using sandbags for storm surge protection is their cost-effectiveness. Sandbags are relatively inexpensive and widely available, making them a budget-friendly solution for those on a tight budget. Additionally, they are easy to use and can be deployed quickly, providing fast protection before a storm surge arrives.
Contact Us Today
Choose quality and reliable products to ensure you are prepared for storm surges. Shop Tough offers a range of products to protect your property from storm surges. Our products are made from heavy-duty materials and designed to withstand the most demanding conditions. With a wide range of options, you’re sure to find the right product for your needs. Contact us today!